A delicious and refreshing summer sponge cake recipe with lemon cream cheese frosting and berries
This is an easy Victoria sponge cake recipe with a delicious lemon cream cheese and strawberry filling and decorated with lots of fresh berries. It’s an easy cake recipe for every day baking as well as for special occasions. The perfect treat after a perfect dinner or for a Sundays afternoon and the best thing is that it’s a light and refreshing layer cake recipe and you won’t fall into a food coma afterwards. It’s our families favorite cake recipe.
True love and how a layer cake was playing an important role
Im still remembering my mom baking that easy 2 layers cake for my dad’s birthday when me and my brother were little and we all lived in a little flat in Graz. That was the first time my mom told us their love story and how that cake was part of it. She made that delicious Victoria sponge cake first for my dad when they both still have been dating. Our mom always said that our dad had issues with binding himself at such a young age 17! to my mom. But after my mom surprised him one day with that 2 layers Victoria sponge cake all issues have been forgotten ?. At least that’s what our mom loves to tell us. My mom baked her way into my dad’s heart ?❤️ .
Seeing my parents after 45 years of happy marriage and still so much in love keeps me hopping that true love exists. I have to admit deep deep down I’m a hopeless romantic ?.
The way to a man’s heart goes through his stomach.
Victoria sponge cake recipe and what is important.
The cake batter
- First you have to measure all the ingredients for the cake better.
- Then smear butter into the round cake forms and shake the inside out with sugar . The sugar gives the cake an delicious sweet crust. Love that very much.
- You have to beat the egg whites with the water until stiff peaks form and you can turn the bowl upside down with the beaten egg whites still staying in the bowl ?
- Cream the egg yolks and sugar long enough that its a thick pale creme
- Carefully fold egg whites into the egg yolk sugar mixture. Don’t beat the air out of the batter.
- Same thing for folding in the flour. Careful. The cake batter should be fluffy and full of air .
- Every oven works differently so please check the cakes every 10 minutes to make sure they don’t overstay their stying in the oven ☺️
- Last smear the jam on the top of the sponge cakes when still warm .
The lemon cheese cake frosting
- Make sure you use a firm cream cheese. If its too soft the frosting will get runny since there isn’t a huge amount of sugar in it to make the frosting stiff.
- Start with beating the cream cheese and sugar for about 6-8 minutes in your stand mixer starting with low and increase after a minute to high. Don’t use powdered sugar, that will make the frosting too runny.
- The frosting isn’t as sweet as an American frosting recipe. Please taste the frosting and increase the sugar to your taste if necessary.
- Add the lemon zest and about 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice and beat until homogenous.
Assembling the layer cake
- The cakes should be cooled completely when starting with assembling the cake. And the top smeared with jam.
- Fill the frosting into a piping bag with a round large tip and start piping from the inside out the frosting onto the first cake layer leaving a little bit of edge uncovered.
- Assemble the strawberry slices side by side.
- Put the next sponge cake on top and pipe the rest of the frosting on top. Even the frosting out a little bit.
- Decorate with berries and edible flowers . You can decorate with any kind of fruits of course.
- Let the cake rest in the fridge at least for 2 hours to set.
What do I like the most about our Victoria sponge cake recipe.
- Over all my favorite thing about this layer cake is that my dad did fall more in love with my mom because of this cake.
- I like that you don’t need many ingredients and that you most likely have all ingredients at home most of the times ?.
- Our special occasion sponge cake is ready to eat in under 4 hours.
- Its not a heavy cake . It’s refreshing and light which means you don’t fall into a food coma afterwards ?.
- our cake recipe is easy to follow along and even manageable for a beginner.
Our family’s favorite cake is best enjoyed with people you love. You won’t regret making this stunning layer cake recipe with delicious lemon cream cheese frosting and lots of fresh berries. Promised.
Big warm cake hugs Nina ❤️
Did you make this recipe? Great tag us on Instagram @twosisterslivinglife or use our hashtag #twosisterslivinglife so we can see. Make sure to pin our recipe for later and follow us on Pinterest
Are you a fan of our family’s favorite cake? Maybe you’d like to check out our other delish cake recipes
- Best Tiramisu Cake – an authentic Italian recipe
- Decadent saffron rice cake with pavlova crown
- Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake
- Carrot cake with fluffy vanilla cream cheese frosting
- No bake white chocolate berry tart
- Blueberry brioche babka
Easy Victoria sponge cake recipe with lemon cream cheese and berries
Victoria sponge cake
- 7 eggs large and divided into yolks and whites
- 7 tbsp water
- 210 g white sugar
- 210 g all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp butter for the cake pans
- 3 tbsp white sugar for the cake pans
lemon cream cheese frosting
- 500 g full fat cream cheese or curd cheese which you use traditionally in Austria
- 150 g white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon peel its about the peel of one lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g strawberry jam or another jam you like
- 500 g strawberries huiled and cut into 0,5cm slices (1/4 inch)
- 300 g mixed berries for decoration or any other fruits and flowers you have at hand.
Victoria Sponge cake
- Start with preparing two 9inch round cake pans with smearing them first with butter and then shaking the pans out with sugar . The inside of the pans should be covered with sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degree Celsius or 320 degree Fahrenheit convection heat.
- First start with beating the egg whites with the water until very stiff
- Then beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale, creamy and thick about 7-10 minutes.
- Now fold in 1/3 of the egg whites under the egg yolk sugar batter with a rubber spatula. It dont needs to be a homogenous batter there can still be egg white lumps.
- After the 1/3 is incorporated fold in the rest of the egg whites carefully.
- Now sprinkel the flour woth a sieve over the dough and fold it in carefully again. Don't beat out all the air of the dough. Be gentel and careful.
- Devide the dough into the 2 cake pans and bake them for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven or until a skewer comes out clean when stuck into the middle of the cake.
- When the cake is ready leave it for 20 minutes to cool down and then tke it carefully out of the pan and smear the upper side of the cakes with the jam while still warm.
Lemon cream cheese frosting
- When the 2 cake layers are smeared with jam and completely cooled start with making the frosting. Its important that your cream cheese is not too soft.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium high until creamy and homogenous.That will take about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the lemon peel and lemon juice and beat for another minute.
Assembling the cake
- Fill the frosting into a piping bag with a 1,5cm (1/2 inch) round tip
- Pipe the frosting on the first sponge cake smeared with jam starting from the inside in a spiral to the outside leaving 0,5cm free from the edge .
- Assemble the strawberry slices on top of the frosting starting from outside into the middle.
- Put the second sponge cake carefully on top of the filled cake and pipe the rest of the frosting on top. Even the frosting a little bit with a spatula .
- Decorate with the mixed berries and some flowers if you have some at hand.
- Leave the finished cake for setting in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
This cake sounds amazing. I would love to try making it!
Thank you Amy. It’s such an delicious cake. Perfect for all the sweet summer fruits and not heavy at all ?❤️
Guys, Thanks For sharing this Great Recipe. My Family Loved it. I am definitely sharing this recipe and this website with my friend. Hope they also love it. Thank you again for sharing such a great recipe.
[…] Victoria sponge cake. Ingredients. –4 eggs; their weight in pounded sugar, butter and flour; 1/4 salt spoonful of salt, a layer of any kind of jam or marmalade. Method. –Beat the butter to a cream; dredge in the flour and pounded sugar; stir these ingredients well together, and add the eggs, which should be previously thoroughly whisked. Näytä koko vastaus […]