This is the creamiest and most delicious vegan Mac and Cheese ever! It has a wonderful unique cheesy and smoky flavour and a crunchy herbs and bread crumbs topping. You will want to make that recipe again and again because its so damn good! Promised 😉 .
Smoky Vegan Mac and Cheese – Why vegan when I’m not a vegan.
I love cheese! Who doesn’t, right? The only problem there is, it’s not vegan. Im not a vegan, but I try to eat vegan 3-4 days a week . Why? Because I want to do my part to help improving the environment and stop the climate change. And I think to forgo meat and animal products 3-5 days a week is a good thing to start with. I want to be a person to look up to for my kids.
The most important ingredients to get that cheesy and smoky flavour
There are 2 key ingredients you need, to take that casserole from an ordinary creamy pasta dish to the very best vegan Mac’n Cheese.
Nutritional Yeast (Yeast flakes)
- This yeast is grown specifically to be used as a food product. The yeast cells are killed during manufacturing and not alive in the final product. I is used in cooking and has a cheesy, nutty and savory flavor.
- It’s naturally low in sodium and calories
- It’s sugar-free, fat-free, gluten-free and vegan
- Nutritional yeast is a great source of protein, B vitamins and trace minerals
Smoked salt is that special extra that enhances my mac’n cheese with that special aromatic bacon like taste. It is an aromatic salt, smoked with any number of select bark free woods for up to 14 days
It’s one of my favourite vegan recipes and I hope you will enjoy the rich creaminess and cheesy smoky aroma! It’s a true comfort food that should be shared with people you love!
warm spicy hugs
You maybe interested in our delicious vegan red beets burger.
Smoky vegan Mac and Cheese with sun dried tomatoes and spinach
- 400 g pasta
- 80 g plant based butter
- 40 g flour
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 350 ml almond milk
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 tsp smoky salt
- 2 tsp dried garlic
- 2 tsp dried onions
- 1 1/2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 200 g spinach thawed
- 12 sun dried tomatoes cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp pine nuts dry roasted for the casserole
Herbs and breadcrumbs Crumble
- 4 tbsp bread crumbs vegan and white
- 2 tbsp pine nuts dry roasted for the topping
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- Melt the butter in a deep medium sized pan.Sprinkle the flour into the melted butter under constant mixing with a whisker.When butter and flour are combined pour slowly the coconut milk and almond milk under constant whisking into the pan.Bring it to a boil and let it thicken.
- Add the smoky salt, the nutritional yeasty flakes and all the seasonings and mix everything togehter. Add more salt if necesarry.
- Add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes and the pine nuts and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Cook the pasta only half as long as said on the instruction, strain the pasta and add it immediately to the sauce. mix everything together and pour it into a casserole form.
- sprinkle the crumble on top
Herbs and bread crumbs crumble
- Put all the ingredients into a blender and puls it 3-4 times.
- Broil the casserole for 8 minutes at 220 degrees Celsius or 428 degrees Fahrenheit or until the crumble is golden brown.