Jump to Recipe
These Austrian Vanillekipferl are my all-time favorite Christmas cookies! They are traditional cookies from Austria. Everybody makes them for the Christmas season. And they only consists of few ingredients.
This recipe is kinda special since the crescents are made with whole grain flour and part brown sugar. The brown sugar is for the taste and gives them kinda caramel flavor and the sweetness comes from the powdered sugar.
This recipe will give you at least 100 pieces of vanilla crescents.
What means „Kipferl“?
The word Kipferl refers to anything which is crescent shaped. You will definitely find in every austrian bakery a pastry which is crescent shaped, like Brioche-Kipferl or Mohn-Kipferl.
But Vanillekipferl are only available during christmas time.
The word “Kipferl” can also be used as an endearment and stands for endearing fool. My lovely boyfriend always calls me Kipferl, which always makes me smile. Most of the time when I was “patschert”, Austrian word for clumsy, or when I forgot to do something?.
I hope you’ll enjoy these delicious “Vanille Kipferl” as much as my family and I do! They can’t be mist on any Christmas cookie plate!
Lots of <3 Antonia
If you enjoyed those delicious cookies maybe you’d like to have a look at our beautiful fairy kisses cookies .
Austrian Vanillekipferl (Vanilla Crescents)
- 400 g butter unsalted, cubed
- 200 g almonds ground
- 500 g whole grain flour
- 100 g brown sugar
- 60 g powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine flour, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, ground almonds with the butter and form to a dough. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll level tablespoons of the dough into 3-inch ropes. Taper the ends slightly and form the ropes into crescents. Carefully transfer the crescents to the baking sheets, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- In a small bowl mix together 100g powdered sugar and vanilla from 2 vanilla beans. Roll the still warm cookies in the sugar and let cool completely.