Jump to Recipe
This is a classic and delicious recipe for moist and fluffy red velvet cupcakes, with the perfect balance of sweetness between chocolate cake and white chocolate frosting. Perfect for every ocation especially for valentines day!
These Red Velvet Cupcakes are based on the Red Velvet Cake which is a classic southern states cake and traditionally made of a red, red-brown or crimson colored chocolate layer cake. “Velvet” means that it’s a soft velvety crumb cake and only uses cocoa and not melted chocolate.
What kind of food coloring should I use for red velvet cupcakes?
The cake for these red velvet cupcakes wouldn’t be red without food coloring. I would recommend gel food coloring, because it’s concentrated and you need less of it. Or you could use beetroot powder like I did in this recipe, which is a natural coloring and you can find it either on Amazon or in health food stores.
How to make the chocolate lettering?
The chocolate lettering is one of the easiest decoration you could make for cake or cupcakes. Just melt 50-100g of dark chocolate and pipe the chocolate using a freezer bag on to parchment paper and let it cool in the fridge. It’s always better to make more because the chocolate lettering is very fragile. It can break very easily.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! It’s soo delicious and perfect for sharing!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 80 g butter unsalted
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 10 g unsweetend cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp beetroot powder natural color or use 2 tbsp red food coloring
- 1 tl vanilla extract
- 180 g buttermilk
- 2 tl vinegar
white chocolate cream cheese frosting
- 50 g white chocolate
- 50 ml cream
- 100 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 450 g cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare a muffin pan with 12 cupcake liner
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder and beetroot powder. In a smaller bowl combine vanilla extract, buttermilik and vinegar.
- Beat the softened butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, add the eggs one at the time. Now add alternately the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients and mix until everything is combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or spoons, divide the batter evenly onto the cupcake liner.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean at 170°C. Let it cool completely before frosting.
White Chocolate Frosting
- In a small microwave safe bowl heat carefully the white chocolate and the cream in the microwave until melted and combine. Let it cool completely. It needs to be cold, so please be patient if not your frosting will be runny.
- Beat the softened butter and the caster sugar until pale and fluffy for at least 6 minutes. It needs to be very light in color. Add the white choclate cream and beat again. Add the Cream Cheese and only beat for a short time. IMPORTANT Don't overbeat it! only until its just combined!
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cake
- Melt 50g dark chocolate and pipe little hearts and love or xoxo on parchment paper and let it harden in the fridge.