This is a very easy and tasty Glühwein recipe or mulled wine recipe made with fresh cranberries and Cointreau . It’s steeped with delicious spices and has the right amount of alcohol to make you feel warm and fuzzy from the inside out. Perfect for cold winter days and prepared in under 10 minutes.
I love the winter and Christmas season. Nothing makes me more happy than that special season. In Austria the Christmas time is famous for their Christmas markets and their varieties of delicious Glühwein and Punch.
Glühwein recipes and their history
A Glühwein is the Austrian version of a mulled wine or glögg. Traditionally a Glühwein is a red wine infused with spices like cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg or anise and sometimes contains raisins too. Sometimes you’ll get it with a “Schuss” (a shot) which means that rum or some other liquor has been added. But today there are a lot of different flavoured mulled wine recipes available and the creativity knows no end.
Heated spiced wine was first recorded in Rome during the 2nd century.
A Glühwein is roughly translated as “glowing wine” ( from the temperature the wine is heated to)and is very popular in German-speaking countries and in the region of Alsace in France. It is a traditional beverage offered during the Christmas holidays and is exclusively served on Christmas markets.
My version of a spiced wine – an easy glühwein recipe prepared in under 10 minutes
Antonia and I prepare that Glühwein recipe every Christmas season and enjoy it through the holidays to new years eve almost daily 😉 . The traditional Glühwein is a little to dry for my taste and i love the added fruits and fruity tripple sec
- 1 bottle of quality red wine, you don’t want to get a headache, right?!?
- 250ml Remy Cointreau or any other orange flavoured tripple sec
- 500ml cranberry juice
- 150g fresh cranberries
- 3 star anise
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 5 gloves
- 100ml orange juice
- 100g brown sugar
- 3 tangerines cut into slices
Preparing that delicious holiday drink recipe
Put all the ingredients into a medium sized pot and heat it up to a simmer. let everything steep for about 20 minutes on low heat or until the cranberries are tender and burst.
Happy holidays everyone and enjoy that delightful warming drink with people you love and care <3
Warm spicy hugs Nina
If you enjoyed this recipe maybe you’d like our refreshing recipe for Blackberry Mojitos too.
Cranberry Cointreau mulled wine recipe – an easy Austrian Glühwein recipe
- 1 bottle red wine quality wine, you don't want a headache the next day
- 250 ml cointreau or another orange flavoured tripple sec
- 3 star anis
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500 ml cranberry juice
- 200 ml fresh orange juice
- 3 clementines cut into slices or 2 oranges cut into slices
- 150 g brown sugar or more
- Put all ingredients in a medium sized pot and heat it up to a simmer.Important: No boiling!Let the mulled wine simmer for about 30 minutes on low temperature so that the spices release their flavour.Enjoy!