I’m presenting you a perfect comfort food recipe for the colder seasons. My apple cider cheese soup with pretzel chips and finished Bad Ischler Salzzart Gourmet Salt flakes is an easy recipe and made under 30 minutes. The soup has a slight sweetness because of the hard apple cider which gets beautifully outbalanced by the 2 savory ripe cheeses. It’s a delicious fall recipe for sure.
Jump to Recipe
Bad Ischler Salzzart – the gourmet salt from our home country Austria
This special salt is not for everyday cooking and seasoning. It’s the perfect touch to finishing any sweet or savory dish and we loved using it to create this fabulous soup. The locally produced gourmet salt has a melt-in your mouth texture and even has an extraordinary look, it’s pyramid-shaped!
Ever wondered how they produce pyramid-shaped salt flakes?
Bad Ischler combined thousand year old technique of salt boiling with todays knowledge and experience to harvest the finest Austrian gourmet salt directly in our Austrian alps. To produce it, only the purest natural brine, from the century old Dürrnberg salt mine in the Austrian alps, is getting heated to boiling temperature. This leads to the production of tiny salt crystals which join together to form pyramid-shaped flakes. Bad Ischler Salzzart gourmet salt is definitely one of a kind.
There are so may ways to use Bad Ischler Salzzart gourmet salt for example to add the finishing touch to a perfectly medium cooked steak or grilled vegetables. We love using it in the morning for avocado toast or chocolate cookies and for so much more!
What is important for that Autumnly Apple cider cheese soup?
- If you don’t have hard Apple Cider (called Apfelmost in Austria) at hand mix together apple juice and wine – ratio 1:1
The choices of cheese
In Austria we have a large variety of different cheeses. The majority of these cheeses have a very strong flavor with a bite and of course they are smelly ?.
These strong flavored cheeses are the ones you need to get for that comforting soup recipe.
I used a younger cheese with a more smoother but still strong flavor with a softer consistency and an aged cheese with a very distinctive strong flavor and a harder consistency. For Austrian people it was an Erzherzog Johann and a Bergkäse.
For American folks: If you are not very versatile in the world of cheese I would go for a Muenster and a sharp cheddar. If you know your way around in the world of cheese then you already know what to use or what you prefer ?.
I used as an add-in Pretzel slices which I baked in the oven until cross. I just love the slightly malted and sweet flavour. Of course you can use any bread you have at home. ?
It’s a fantastic comforting soup to surprise your family and friends with. Don’t forget to sprinkle the melt in your mouth Bad Ischler gourmet salt flakes over the pretzel chips as a finish. They perfectly enhance the taste of the dish.
Warm hugs Nina & Antonia
Are you craving more delicious comforting dishes? How about these:
- Vegetarian Cauliflower Bolognese
- Easy yellow thai curry with sweet potatoes, asparagus and shrimps
- Smoky Vegan Mac and Cheese with sun dried tomatoes and spinach
Savory Autumn Apple Cider and cheese soup served with bread chips seasoned with Bad Ischler Gourmet Salt
Baked pretzel chips
- 200 g pretzels fresh or stale bread will do the trick too
- 1 tbsp butter melted or olive oil
- 1 tbsp Bad Ischler Salzzart Gourmet salt or sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp parsley fried
Apple cider and cheese soup
- 1 shallot finely minced
- 25 g butter for the shallot
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tbsp garlic powder
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 200 ml apple cider you can also use 100ml white wine and 100ml apple juice
- 1,2 l chicken broth
- 230 g grated cheese use 2 different aged and smelly cheeses with a sharper taste for this soup like sharp cheddar cheese and swiss cheese for example. The ratio is 150g aged cheese and 80g a more softer cheese. For Austrian People: Bergkäse, St. Johann or Weinkäse
- 150 ml cream
- 1 pinch Bad Ischler Salzzart Gourmet salt The Salt is the finishing touch when served along with some freschly grinted black pepper
Baked Pretzel Chips
- Slice the Pretzel in thin Slices (1/2cm or 1/4 inch) and arange on a baking tray .
- Drizzle with the meldted butter amd sprinkle lightly with some salt flakes
- Bake at 180 degree Celsius fan for about 10min or until golden brown.
- Fry the Parsely leaves in hot oil until cross. This will take about 30 seconds. Put the leaves on a kitchen roll paper after the frying for cooling.
Savory Apple Cider and cheese soup
- Start with melting the 25g of butter in a medium sized pot and add the minced shallot.
- Cook over medium heat the shallots without out browning until tender.
- Add the 50g butter.
- When melted add the flour and whisk until a roux is forming. Looks like a cake batter.
- Deglace with the apple cider and keep on whisking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken Broth and keep whisking until a kind of soup/Cream is forming.
- Now while whisking add the cheeses and the cream. When everything is homogenous let everything bubble on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Season with some with freshly ground black pepper and eventually some more salt.
- Serve the soup with the pretzel chips some fried parsely and a pinch of Bad Ischler Gourmet Salt as a finishing.